Faulty exhaust fan to blame for overnight fire in Franklin Couty

181

Source: CVDaily Feed
$inline_image}

FRANKLIN COUNTY – A faulty exhaust fan is believed to be the cause of an attic fire that destroyed a home just north of the Riverdale Resort in Franklin County overnight. Fire units from the Franklin County Fire District and Cache County Fire District responded at approximately 12:30 a.m. to find the home’s roof fully involved.

A husband and wife at 48600 North 1457 East were able to safely exit the home and there were no injuries reported.

“It is believed that an exhaust fan in the bathroom started arching and caused the fire,” Franklin County Fire District Fire Marshall Scott Martin explains. “The structure had a low attic area and was covered with flammable material. We also had a strong wind from the east that caused the fire to spread quickly and took the roof off.”

A water tender and two fire engines from the Cache County Fire District were called out to assist because the home was not near any fire hydrants. In all, approximately 30 firefighters were called out to assist on the fire and were on scene until about 6 a.m.

“The home is probably a total loss,” Martin says. “I would estimate the total damage at $130,000.”